January 28, 2014
Beauty and Brains: The New Syncplicity by Axway Mobile Apps
It’s official! The new mobile workforce has arrived but is still waiting for a mobile experience that untethers them from the PC. They no longer see mobile as the replacement for desktop, but see mobile as more than the desktop. The wait for a transformational UX that delivers for the mobile workforce ends now with the new Syncplicity by Axway apps for iPad and Android.
We are launching these apps with the theme “Beauty and Brains” because we believe they set the gold standard in our industry (and even amongst our consumer-oriented competitors) for mobile design, user experience, intelligence, and end-user productivity.
Beauty. The new apps are aesthetically stunning, with completely redesigned icons and a layout devoid of clutter. They are also functionally beautiful, featuring a new navigational paradigm, contextual menus, and even contextual visuals (notice the “time of day” sensitive Home Screen greetings, and that’s just a start!).
Brains. We’ve re-thought the notion that a mobile file-sharing app should just present a desktop-like GUI, and instead are ushering in the next wave of mobile collaboration by truly leveraging the power of the mobile devices. The apps put your most active files and folders front and center to save you time, and they bubble up notifications so you can send reminders and stay productive with a single tap of the finger. Our new Syncplicity by Axway Insights™ use predictive analytics to completely eliminate common and mundane tasks.
There are literally hundreds of improvements that make this a giant leap in productivity.
But don’t take our word for it, try them yourself!
Here’s what has us so excited about these new apps…
Immersive Design and User Experience
- Enjoy a beautiful, 100% native user interface optimized for your device
- “Sheet-based navigation” on the iPad makes it very easy to find content inside deep folder hierarchies
- Tap-and-drag gesture to copy files between folders
- The home screen experience offers personalization and quick access to relevant information
- Access key features through innovative tool bars and contextual menus
- Mark folders and files as “favorites” to gain automatic offline access via the industry’s only mobile “push” synchronization
- Follow files, folders, and links to stay informed when content changes with our newly designed Activity Feed (Android only)
Enhanced Mobile Access and Editing
- Securely open Microsoft Office documents (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint) and PDF files right inside the Syncplicity by Axway app
- Edit Microsoft Office documents right inside the Syncplicity by Axway app (Business and Enterprise Editions only)
- Deliver Microsoft PowerPoint presentations with transitions and animations directly from your mobile device
Easy and Secure File Sharing
- Share files with Shared Links (All Editions) or with optional password protection and restricted recipients using Secure Shared Links (Business and Enterprise Editions Only)
- Track shared file download activity (All Editions) including location-based information (Business and Enterprise Editions only)
Increased productivity with Syncplicity by Axway Insights™
- Automatically send files to meeting attendees without having to type their email addresses
- Get notified on the most active folders in your account Get notified when a user has not downloaded a shared link and send an email reminder from the notification
Enterprise Grade Mobile Security Controls and Policies (Business and Enterprise Editions only)
- Restrict users from opening files outside of Syncplicity by Axway
- Require users to set additional passcode for access to Syncplicity by Axway
- View our Product in Action videos to see short feature snippets in devices
- Watch a longer demonstration video here
January 21, 2014
Open Sesame – Unlocking Enterprise Content with the Syncplicity by Axway Connector for Documentum
“We have serious problems to solve, and we need serious people to solve them” - Michael Douglas in The American President
Aaron Sorkin surely wasn’t thinking about the Sync and Share market when he came up with the line but, it does come to my mind every time I hear people talk about moving serious enterprise content into yet another content repository, to enable mobile access. We, at EMC Syncplicity by Axway, are serious people and we are solving the serious problem of information silos in the enterprise.
Today, EMC announced nine new content management products, advancing the art and science of enterprise content management. As part of this launch we have announced the next version of Syncplicity by Axway Connector for Documentum that reaffirms our commitment to eliminating content silos. “Mobilizing” your enterprise content should not require you to disrupt business processes and forklift content into a new store.
There are thousands of customers across the world, with petabytes of enterprise content, that use Documentum to drive thousands of business processes that drive billions of dollars in business value. All these customers can now “mobilize” their Documentum powered business processes, effortlessly, with Syncplicity by Axway Connector for Documentum 1.1. No Disruption. No Migration. Pure Access.
Here’s what’s new:
Simplified Deployment and Administration
The new connector offers streamlined installation process combined with automated user configuration and deeper integration with Syncplicity by Axway will further drive down administration time.
New rules based publishing enables business process automation, driving up efficiencies. As an example, you can now publish documents that have an “approved” attribute value for document status in Documentum.
Extended Enterprise Reach
New “Review and Revise” capabilities now allow mobile users to review and edit Documentum-originated content through this connector. File changes from any device are synchronized back into Documentum automatically.
Bottom line is that content wants to live at a place of ITs choice (pun intended) and users want to access it from a device of their choice. With Syncplicity by Axway Connector for Documentum 1.1, we renew our vow to keep fighting the fight against content silos on behalf of our business users and IT users.
- Read about the advancing the art and science of Enterprise Content Management here
- Read more details about these major innovations and how they can help you transform your business here
January 20, 2014
ESG Highlights Syncplicity by Axway in December Product Brief
In a December product brief, ESG analyst Kristine Kao discussed the major updates Syncplicity by Axway made to Enterprise Edition in the 4th quarter of 2013.
EMC has certainly not been sitting idly by. After seeing how much functionality is packed into the new offering, it seems it was worth the wait. EMC Syncplicity by Axway is making a big splash with its latest announcements including:
Improved user experience. Syncplicity’s updated iOS and Android apps combine better collaboration and productivity (file management and secure mobile editing) with a more user-friendly experience.
Increased security and admin control. Admins can create policies for access, storage quotas, and sharing, and can rank-order policies to ensure each user has the appropriate level of permissions. IT can also set information rights management (IRM) policies for shared files.
Enhanced storage options and privacy. Storage vaults were well received for flexible, policy-driven on-premise or cloud-based storage.
Added benefit for Isilon users. With MobileIQ powered by Syncplicity by Axway, Isilon users have mobile access to home directories and file shares, eliminating the need for data migration.
In addition to summarizing the updates, the report sheds some interesting light on the challenges facing the online file sharing (OFS) market.
“In today’s online file sharing and collaboration market, most organizations are trying to combat rogue usage and determine which OFS solution will best meet their needs. EMC’s updates are aimed at addressing key areas of IT concern and the company has added many features to put minds at ease.”
According to ESG’s research, seventy percent of IT professionals surveyed know or suspect their employees are using unauthorized file sharing tools.
“IT has the choice to ignore rogue usage (not recommended), prohibit rogue usage (which rarely works), or embrace technologies like Syncplicity by Axway that give IT increased security, visibility, and control over company data enable end-users to do their jobs.”
In fact, our goal all along, and especially with our recent updates, has been to improve usability for enterprise admins and users by meeting the key corporate OFS concerns head on, which ESG defines as:
• Curbing shadow IT. In most cases, rogue OFS usage is not about malicious employees but about employees finding a tool that fills a void left by existing processes. With Syncplicity by Axway, users can manage their files and folders, and access and edit files from anywhere on their mobile devices.
• Securing company assets. Syncplicity by Axway’s new admin controls and rank-ordered policies help IT prevent internal breaches—either malicious or accidental—by setting granular permissions for users, groups, and individual pieces of content.
• Offering flexible deployment solutions. Forty percent of early OFS adopters surveyed by ESG said they would accelerate OFS usage if they could store some or all of their data on-premises.2 Syncplicity by Axway offers a public cloud model and already supports on-premises integration with storage systems like Isilon and Atmos. The new storage vault technology provides even greater control over on-premise data storage.
“EMC Syncplicity by Axway’s new release marks another solid step toward courting the enterprise market … Syncplicity by Axway is poised to become a powerful solution in the OFS marketplace.”
Read the full report.
January 9, 2014
EMC Syncplicity by Axway Helps Lesley University Teach the Teachers
Lesley University is the largest provider of teacher education in the U.S. With campuses in Cambridge and Boston, Mass, it’s been “teaching the teachers” for more than 100 years, at every stage in their careers.
“We serve teachers who are looking for recertification, teachers who want to come up to date in their fields and have the tools they need to really reach out to their students.”— Scott Boulet, Director of Enterprise Applications and Servers, Lesley University
The university also runs remote programs and seminars all over the country. Staff on the road needs the same seamless data and network access as their colleagues on campus. The university tried a number of solutions, including VPN. But VPN depends on high-speed Internet access, which isn’t always available. And consumer file-sharing services like Dropbox or Google Docs lacked adequate security and control. Lesley needed an easy, secure way for users to sync and share files from the road. Something with enterprise-level controls and the ability to manage, track, report, and encrypt file-sharing activity.
Well, that describes EMC® Syncplicity by Axway® Enterprise Edition in a nutshell and it turned out to be perfect for Lesley University’s needs.
“Our tech council ruled out solutions that required us to place additional hardware in our data center. Everyone on the tech council has a mobile device so they could see instantly how Syncplicity by Axway could help them do their jobs. Plus, we know EMC is a company we can trust with our data, and that the solution will be around and supported in the long term.”—Scott Boulet
Deployment was easy and, after only seven months, user adoption reached 52 percent—significantly above the university’s norm for software adoption. With Syncplicity by Axway, staff could access documents from any location using their iPhones and iPads. Users were hooked by Syncplicity by Axway’s convenience. And IT could breathe easy with enterprise-grade security and access controls.
Because Syncplicity by Axway stores user information in the cloud, Lesley University gained key operational benefits, which include:
• Less need for desktop storage and standalone drives
• Fewer support calls for more storage or VPN accounts
• Improved network performance
• Streamlined, secure access to data via mobile devices
"With desktop footprints getting smaller and smaller, being able to safeguard our data in the cloud and then access it from anywhere is a huge advantage. By untethering our users from their desktops, we're lowering our hardware costs and reducing the load on our servers and network. Couple that with seamless data access for our users, and Syncplicity by Axway is a real win-win."
Read More about Syncplicity by Axway Success Stories